Friday, May 21, 2010

Summer semester begins

This week I produced three radio stories for KBIA. It was pretty much covering your standard day turn stuff which is what they need right now because their broadcast students haven’t started yet. I told them I would be glad to cover whatever day turn type stuff they need me to until they get more reporters in the flow of things. One of my stories was a pretty boring piece on potential flash flooding. Spoke with the National Weather Service in St. Louis for that one. The other two stories ended up being pretty interesting. The first was a follow to a story about a teen who escaped the juvenile services vehicle that was transporting him and jumped off a bridge into the Missouri river. I just did a basic follow up to see if they had found him and what they expected to find (or not find) when they did. The second story involved the Kahler case and was about the courts decision to allow his son to testify over closed circuit television. I was almost done with what would have been a pretty one sided story when I got a call from Kahler’s attorney. I immediately interviewed him, but had to leave after that. Courtney finished the story and gave me a producer credit. I told them before I left that I didn’t feel comfortable running the story without putting the second interview in and they agreed. If I were an employee of KBIA I would have been able to stay to finish it myself. In my current situation I have many other obligations, including more to class and some to work, that prevented me from doing that. Links to the three stories are below.

Flood

Bridge

Testify

No comments: